Friday, December 08, 2006

Wiish List Entry: 001


Just getting up from laying in bed, listening to music, I glanced at my media rack and noticed my cherished collection of Panzer Dragoon games. (The Panzer Dragoon series started on the Sega Saturn game console and is celebrated among video game critics as one of the finest; ground breaking depth in story telling along with compelling and truly unique game-play.) So I decided to start my own Wiish List if you will, with my first Wiish being for something that could take a few forms but is essentially pretty simple.

Nintendo: give us the Saturn again. It's time people finally get to play these games that never got a chance. You have a couple options. A) Update the Wii with Saturn Virtual Console support and post Saturn titles to the Wii Shop Channel. Problem here is that Saturn games were on CD. Even after changing the music to a newer compressed format, they would likely be much larger than is currently manageable. At least, with the current system that only allows channels on system memory to load. (SD cards are for backup only. Lame, I know!) B) Update the Disc Channel to load Saturn games. This would really be a part of the Virtual Console because it would make use of another solid, Sega-owned-BIOS-ROM-file-based, emulator. But since the games would still be on their original discs, no new channels would be added for each one like we have with the other Virtual Console emulations. But then how do people get these games? Why, by buying new prints of them order-able on the Wii Shop Channel! Setup pre-orders Nintendo, and you could even get an advanced look at demand to base your print amounts on.

Either option would make me happy because option A means they have to finally improve the state of channel managing and option B means I can just use the Saturn games I already own. Anyway, that's my first Wiish for this new feature? hopefully to contain the many things I hope Nintendo will eventually do with this Wii platform they've made.

No comments: