Friday, January 18, 2008

Just Got Back From Cloverfield.....


So my wife and I just got back from Cloverfield. I have no doubt that a lot of people who won't see it until this weekend will be asking what this movie is about, so I figured this merited it's own post.

First of all, The Monster. Honestly, I fully understand why a lot of reviewers have a hard time explaining it. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. It's like.. kind of pale and yet... scaly. But also kinda slimy. It's HUGE and holy freaking CRAP it's scary. Seriously, everytime this thing is on screen, everyone in the theater literally screamed. Both my wife and the random lady sitting on my other side visibly gasped and grasped their chair arms every single time. The damage this thing does to New York... it's unbelievable.

Let me make this absolutely, 100% clear. THIS IS NOT GODZILLA. Not even remotely close. This monster would kick Godzilla's gargantuan butt.

Another thing, Cloverfield is remarkably intense. You absolutely feel the full weight of the devastation and absolute horror that is happening to these people. And believe me, these people go through quite a bit.

The movie itself is short. It's just shy of 90 minutes, but I promise your knuckles will be white from grabbing the arm rest, you'll have to remind yourself to blink and you'll need to wipe off your chin because your mouth will be hanging open in absolute awe and horror the entire 84 minutes.

Also, I don't know where these actors came from, I didn't recognize any of them. But, I'll remember their faces forever. Hud especially is one of the coolest characters in a movie ever. Which is strange because he gets a grand total of MAYBE 3 minutes of actual SCREEN time throughout the movie, because he's the one behind the camera. I swear to you, this guy is hilarious. I swear though, he says EXACTLY what I would be saying in this situation though. A quote. "'What the HELL is THAT?!' 'Oh that? That's a huge terrible something.' 'OH MY GOD! What was THAT?!''Oh that? A smaller something. Also terrible.'" (Critter I kid you not, that is a direct quote. Even the 'ALSO'. Seriously, this guy is ME!.)

A WARNING FOR THOSE WHO HAVE YET TO SEE IT!! If you ever get any kind of motion sickness, I HIGHLY suggest you take some Dramamine before this movie. The ENTIRE movie is shot with a hands-on camera. It's very shaky at times due to running away from a GIANT MONSTER, among other things... You have been warned.

Oh, and one last note before I go to bed; this movie... It is unlike anything I've ever seen before. It's not your typical movie. If there has ever been a 'redefining of a genre', this is it. And dang, it's done well.

.... Also the Star Trek trailer was abso-freakinglutely amazing. I heard a lot of people poo poo it. But dang, anyone who's a fan of Star Trek in any kinda way, you're going to be excited to see it. The trailer isn't long and doesn't show much. But what it does show... man it's gonna be good.

No comments: