Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Last Cloverfield Post I'll make .... Until After I See It


Okay, so if it's not clear that I'm excited about Cloverfield by now, you probably aren't aware of who I am, or who you are for that matter. This movie excites for more reasons than I can count. A lot of them are different than what you'd expect though. Yes, it's a monster movie, a J.J. Abrams film, a total guy movie, and YES it has the Star Trek trailer attached to it. Those are all awesome. But I'm more excited about the movies that could potentially spawn from this movie doing well.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, or if it's just me, but the movie going experience these past few years have been absolutely flooded with sequels and prequels and trilogies and out-n-out garbage. It's getting pretty ridiculous and I, for one, am tired of it. I miss original movies that had a cool story, good story telling and actual creativity attached. This is why I've grown so attached to a lot of J.J. Abrams work. Everything he does is so original and ingenious.

Lost. My god, Lost is a breath of fresh air amongst the Sea of Stagnant television that has been this past decade. It's completely original, it's unimaginably engaging. It's smart. And most of all it's creative. Every character is interesting and has an intriguing back story and when a character dies, they die for a reason. Their death MEANS something to you and often sucks REALLY bad. But at the same time it just makes you want more.

This brings me back to Cloverfield. I have no doubt that this movie is going to be more of this creative breath of fresh air to a movie industry that has needed it for some time. I've read a lot of reviews and even the naysayers have to admit that this movie is wholly different than movies we've come to know. I can't help but wonder if the reason it's getting some of the bad reviews it's getting isn't because we've been so over saturated with ridiculously bad plot lines and meaningless characters that we've forgotten about the wonder and mystery that movies are supposed instill.

Anyway, I could go on for a long time about why I'm excited about this movie. But, long story short, I'm excited that if a lot of people like this movie. The big wigs might start to realize that making fresh, creative new movies are a good thing and hopefully we'll see some more in the coming years. Along with that, I came across this little gem of a review. Don't worry, there are no major spoilers. But this guy's perspective on the movie is enlightening and exciting. Check it out here.

2 comments:

Frank Tinsley said...

Nice to see it do well on the tomatometer, now that all the critics who objected to its marketing (and felt compelled to give the movie a bad review out of spite?) have said their piece.

Austen said...

Okay I'm officially excited. Chrissy and I decided to go see it tonight. We're leaving in like 45 minutes. Holy crap it's gonna be good, but diggity dang I'm gonna be tired in the morning.